Dec. 7, 2012
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - University of San Diego senior midfielder Dan Delgado has been announced as a finalist for the Soccer News Net College Boot award, which is awarded to the men's college player of the year. USD soccer fans are encouraged to click here to vote for Dan Delgado for Soccer News Net College Boot award .
The 34 finalists were selected by editors from the regional soccer outlets from around the country that make up the Soccer News Network. Delgado was one of three finalists nominated by LA Soccer News, joining UCLA's Ryan Hollingshead and UC Santa Barbara's Nic Ryan.
Voting closes on Dec. 23 with winners being announced in January. The online vote accounts for 40% of deciding the award winner, with the other 60% coming from the local soccer news editors.
Delgado (Escondido, Calif.) earned his second-straight first-team All-West Coast Conference honor this year after leading the Toreros (14-9-0) in scoring. His nine goals were not only a career high, but were also the third-most in the conference this season, while his 10 assists led the WCC. The 28 points he tallied overall were also the third-most in the conference.
Delgado played a key role in helping lead the Toreros to their second NCAA quarterfinals appearance in team history this season. His goal with 66 seconds remaining in USD's first-round matchup at No. 25 Cal State Northridge forced overtime and eventually led to the game-winning goal in which Delgado assisted on, giving USD a 2-1 victory.
He then dished out three assists in the Toreros' 5-2 upset over No. 6 UCLA in the second round that led to USD defeating No. 11 Tulsa 2-1 in the third round of the tournament. USD finally lost to No. 3-seed Georgetown 3-1 in the quarterfinals but not before Delgado handed out an assist on USD's lone goal of the contest.
Delgado was named the WCC's Player of the Month for November as well as a San Diego Hall of Champions Star of the Month.
Click here for more information about the award and candidates.