Feb. 9, 2013
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - - In a match that lasted nearly five hours, No. 49 San Diego (2-2) outlasted No. 28 Arizona (3-2) for a thrilling 4-2 victory Saturday afternoon. Freshman Shani Blecher sealed the victory with an incredible comeback 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3 at the No.3.
The Wildcats were able to take the doubles point despite forfeiting at the No. 2 spot due to a left knee injury to Kim Stubbe. Arizona won 8-2 at the No. 3 with Susan McRann and Akilah James knocking off Cara Brown and Stephanie Hoffpauir. At the one spot, Laura Claus and Shani Blecher fell 8-5 to Lacey Smyth and Shayne Austin.
After losing the doubles point, the Toreros faced an uphill climb in singles. They got their first point when Laura Claus defeated Kim Stubbe 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 2. The Wildcats followed that with a 6-4, 6-2 win for Lacey Smyth over Stephanie Hoffpauir at the No. 1.
Marta Stojanovic won 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 5 over Shayne Austin to tie the match at 2-2. Cara Brown gave the Toreros the lead with a 6-4, 6-3 victory at the No. 6.
The match came down to the No. 3 and 4 spots, where the Toreros needed just one win. Both matches went into a third set and Blecher came out on top. Depenau's match went unfinished.
For the Toreros it was the second match in three days that lasted more than four hours. USD felt short to Stanford on Thursday, but earned the clutch win this time over Arizona.
The Toreros return to action February 19 at home against Hawaii. The match gets underway at 1:30 p.m.
1. Smyth/Austin (Arizona) def. Claus/Blecher (USD) 8-5
2. Depenau/Stojanovic (USD) def. Hendrikx/Stubbe (Arizona) 4-0 won by retirement
3. Mc Rann/James (Arizona) def. Brown/Hoffpauir (USD) 8-2
Order of Finish: (2, 3, 1)
1. Lacey Smyth (Arizona) def. Stephanie Hoffpauir (USD) 6-4, 6-2
2. Laura Claus(USD) def. Kim Stubbe (Arizona) 6-4, 6-1
3. Shani Blecher (USD) def. Laura Oldham (Arizona) 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
4. Anna Depenau (USD) vs. Akilah James (Arizona) 7-6, 2-6, 1-3 unfinished
5. Marta Stojanovic (USD) def. Shayne Austin (Arizona) 6-3, 6-3
6. Cara Brown (USD) def. Inge Hendrikx (Arizona) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: (2, 1, 5, 6, 3)