March 19, 2006
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The University of San Diego women's tennis team defeated the Kansas State Wildcats Sunday by a score of 4-3 at USD's West Tennis Courts. With the win, San Diego improves to 8-4 on the season. The Wildcats, ranked 56th in the nation, fall to 6-5 overall.
In doubles, USD received victories at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. The 57th ranked duo of Emma Murphy and Lauren Perl defeated KSU's Simosa and Kudlackova 8-4 while Sophia Vogt and Brittany Reitz took an 8-3 victory over Fernanda Da Valle and Olga Klimova.
Senior Emma Murphy, ranked 47th in the nation, easily defeated No. 89 Tamar Kvaratskhelia by scores of 6-1 and 6-0 at No. 1 singles. Jenny Brown took her singles match against KSU's Jessica Simosa to three sets, defeating Simosa by scores of 6-2, 3-6, and 6-3 in the No. 2 spot. Sophia Vogt earned a three-set victory over Olga Klimova. Scores went 6-3, 1-6, 6-4.
The Toreros head to Los Angeles Saturday, March 25 to face the LMU Lions at the LMU Tennis Center. The match is scheduled for an 11:00 a.m. start time. The Lions, who rank 75th in the nation, are coming off a 4-2 loss to Eastern Tennessee State. Sophomore Pavla Mesterova, February's WCC Singles Player of the Month, is currently on pace to reach the 30-win milestone in a single season. Her singles victories currently total 21.
San Diego 4 Kansas 3
1) Murphy/Perl (USD) def. Simosa/Kudlackova (KSU) 8-4
2) Kvaratskhelia/Perevoschikova (KSU) def. Brown/Lindstrand (USD) 8-4
3) Vogt/Reitz (USD) def. Da Valle/Klimova (KSU) 8-3
1) Emma Murphy (USD) def. Tamar Kvaratskhelia (KSU) 6-1, 6-0
2) Jenny Brown (USD) def. Jessica Simosa (KSU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
3) Maria Perevoschikova (KSU) def. Lauren Perl (USD) 7-6, 3-6, 2-1 ret.
4) Katerina Kudlackova (KSU) def. Helene Lindstrand (USD) 6-4, 7-6
5) Fernanda Da Valle (KSU) def. Brittany Reitz (USD) 6-0, 6-4
6) Sophia Vogt (USD) def. Olga Klimova (KSU) 6-3, 1-6, 6-4