April 23, 2005
By Roland Hu, USD Media Relations
San Diego, Calif. - For the second time in as many days, Lauren Perl was the hero for the University of San Diego women's tennis team. Her three-set victory over Loyola Marymount's Kimi Kaloi broke a 3-3 tie and sent the Toreros into tomorrow's finals of the West Coast Conference, where they will face top-seeded Pepperdine University at 1:30 P.M. at the USD West Tennis Courts.
In yesterday's match against the University of Portland, Perl was up 5-0 over Jaclyn Soltysik in the third set. However, Soltysik rallied and came within a game of evening the match. In the end, Perl came through with 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 victory over her WCC rival. In today's meeting with Kaloi, the junior found herself up 4-2 in the third set. Like yesterday's match, Perl's opponent made a comeback and tied it up at 4-4, causing concern for the Toreros. However, Perl was able to buckle down her game and close out the third set 6-4 to give San Diego the victory.
"It was actually a blessing that I was put in the same position yesterday because I basically got all my nerves out yesterday and I just realized that I had to play and keep hitting the same shots that I always go for," said Perl after her impressive performance. "I just stayed positive and I wasn't nearly as nervous as yesterday because I learned from the experience."
The match began with the doubles play and San Diego was able to strike first, as the No. 1 tandem of Emma Murphy and Perl easily took care of Tamara Tanner and Kaloi by a score of 8-3. Loyola Marymount made things interesting when their No. 3 team came away with an 8-4 victory, but senior Lauren Kazarian and junior Jenny Brown came away with an 8-6 win over Carla Arguelles and Robyn baker at the No. 2 position to give San Diego the 1-0 lead.
The Lions tied the match after Baker defeated Brown 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 2 position, although Murphy pushed her team back into the lead with her 6-1, 6-0 victory over Arguelles on Court 1. At the No. 6 position, Patricia Hubl got the best of Jenna Anderson 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 to once again tie the match 2-2. However, Kazarian put her team in the lead with a solid showing at the No. 2 spot, beating Serena Fermin 7-5, 6-2. San Diego discovered that Loyola Marymount would not give up, especially after Tamara Tanner took out Helene Lindstrand 1-6, 6-4, 6-4 on Court 4, setting up Perl's late game heroics. After losing the first set 6-3 to Kaloi, Perl came back to secure the team victory by winning the next two sets 6-3, 6-4.
"People are a little banged up and we just came out and fought for every point. They did a great job. Lauren Perl stepped it up two days in a row with the clinching match, but she wasn't the only one," stated assistant coach Chris Atzet. "Emma stepped up, Lauren Kazarian played very well. It was a good effort from everyone - cheering, the intensity."
San Diego improves its record to 9-10 on the season, while Loyola Marymount falls to 10-13.
Results for April 23
No. 1 Pepperdine 4, No. 5 St. Mary's 0
Doubles (Pepperdine wins the doubles point)
1. Raba/Kosakowski (PU) vs. Hoath/Lambert (SMC), 5-5 (DNF)
2. Dickes/Dulgheru (PU) def. Charlot/Schulman (SMC), 8-2
3. Asimgil/Dunlap (PU) def. Kummer/Ordoveza (SMC), 8-3
1. Caroline Raba (PU) def. Aude Lambert (SMC), 6-1, 6-2
2. Bianca Dulgheru (PU) def. Kate Harden (SMC), 6-1, 6-2
3. Sylvia Kosawkowski (PU) vs. Jessica Hoath (SMC), 6-0, 6-7 (DNF)
4. Eva Dickes (PU) def. Kristin Kummer (SMC), 6-0, 6-4
5. Merve Asimgil (PU) vs. Megan Schulman (SMC), DNP
6. Vanessa Dunlap (PU) vs. Stef Ordoveza (SMC), DNP
Ordoer of finish: 1, 2, 4
No. 2 San Diego 4, No. 3 Loyola Marymount 3
Doubles (San Diego wins the doubles point)
1. Murphy/Perl (USD) def. Kaloi/Tanner (LMU), 8-3
2. Brown/Kazarian (USD) def. Arguelles/Baker (LMU), 8-6
3. Fermin/Hubl (LMU) def. Anderson/Lindstrand (USD), 8-4
1. Emma Murphy (USD) def. Carla Arguelles (LMU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Lauren Kazarian (USD) def. Serena Fermin (LMU), 7-5, 6-2
3. Lauren Perl (USD) def. Kimi Kaloi (LMU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Tamara Tanner (LMU) def. Helene Lindstrand (USD), 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Robyn Baker (LMU) def. Jenny Brown (USD), 6-1, 6-2
6. Patricia Hubl (LMU) def. Jenna Anderson (USD), 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 5, 1, 6, 2, 4, 3
No. 4 Santa Clara 6, No. 8 Gonzaga 0
1. Janelle Kaloi (SCU) def. Angela Fry (GU), 3-6, 6-0, 6-1
2. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Amanda Becker (GU), 6-4, 6-1
3. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Kendall Bates (GU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Erika Barnes (SCU) def. Sirrah Williams (GU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Kim Daniel (SCU) def. Sydney Lederhouse (GU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Jessie Strunk (SCU) def. Erin Humphrey (GU), 7-6, 6-0
1. Kaloi/Leathers (SCU) vs. Fry/Williams (GU), DNP
2. Barnes/Cochrane (SCU) vs. Bates/Becker (GU), DNP
3. Daniel/Strunk (SCU) vs. Humphrey/Lederhouse (GU), DNP
Order of finish: 4, 3, 2, 1, 5, 6
No. 6 San Francisco 4, No. 7 Portland 3
1. Joana Macedo (USF) def. Cristin Sammis (UP), 6-4, 6-3
2. Anna Skogerboe (USF) def. Sanja Indic (UP), 6-1, 6-2
3. Alyson Tyson (UP) def. Megan Tiegs (USF), 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
4. Pachaya Laosirichon (USF) def. Jaclyn Soltysik (UP), 6-4, 6-2
5. Christina Feyen (UP) def. Michelle Duncan (USF), 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
6. UP wins by default
Order of finish: 6, 2, 4, 1, 3, 5
Doubles (UP wins the doubles point)
1. Macedo/Pamart (USF) def. Indic/Sammis (UP), 8-6
2. Skogerboe/Tiegs (USF) def. Griffin/Tyson (UP), 8-4
3. Feyen/Soltysik (UP) def. Duncan/Laosirichon (USF), 8-6
*Singles were played first for the consolation rounds because of weather forecasts.
Schedule of Play for April 24
Consolation Bracket - 9:00 A.M.
Seventh-Eighth Place; Portland (7-15) vs. Gonzaga (8-15)
Fifth-Sixth Place: Santa Clara (15-7) vs. San Francisco (8-11)
Championship Bracket - 1:30 P.M.
Third-Fourth Place: Loyola Marymount (10-13) vs. Saint Mary's (8-10)
Finals: Pepperdine (13-8) vs. San Diego (9-10)