April 23, 2010
SAN DIEGO - It was smoothing sailing through the first round of action at the West Coast Conference Championships, as the 62nd-ranked University of San Diego women's tennis team efficiently disposed of Gonzaga University, 4-0, Friday afternoon at the host site of the Barnes Tennis Center.
"We struggled through a little bit but once we struggled through it we started to play much better and finished really strong...we got the nerves out and are ready to go play Pepperdine tomorrow, " said head coach Sherri Stephens following match's end.
The 3rd-seeded Toreros (12-11) made quick work of the tandem competition by winning consecutive matches to take the initial advantage. Knotting the first win of the day, Laura Claus and Justine Perl downed Jackie Tabb and Sophie Lantta, 8-5, at Court #3. Soon after at Court #1, Juliette Coupez and Maja Sujica closed out the point for the Toreros with an 8-3 defeat of Danielle Farmer and Rika Mendhiratta.
San Diego continued its hot streak in the individual competition, as USD captured three straight victories to secure the match win. At Court #2, Claus crossed up the 'Zags' Kristina Zauere, 6-4, 6-0, for her second win of the day. Soon after, Marite Raygada extended her singles match win streak to 13, as she eclipsed Lantta, 6-2, 6-0. Securing the point for her teammates, Juliette Coupez, the consistent No. 1 singles player, ran past Mendhiratta, 6-3, 6-3.
The Toreros now get set for Round #2 tomorrow against No. 2 seed Pepperdine. First serve is set for 3 p.m. PT.
WCC CHAMPIONSHIPS - Round 1
#3 SAN DIEGO def. #6 GONZAGA, 4-0
Friday, April 23, 2010
BARNES TENNIS CENTER
1. Coupez/Sujica (USD) def. Farmer/Mehndiratta (GON) - 8-3
2. Demidova/Raygada (USD) vs. Dodge/Zauere (GON) - suspended
3. Claus/Perl (USD) def. Tabb/Lantta (GON) - 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1. Juliette Coupez (USD) def. Rika Mendhiratta (GON) - 6-3, 6-3
2. Laura Claus (USD) def. Kristina Zauere (GON) - 6-4, 6-0
3. Maja Sujica (USD) vs. Prue Teitzel (GON) - suspended
4. Lise Marbach (USD) vs. Danielle Farmer (GON) - suspended
5. Alexandra Demidova (USD) def. Clare Dodge (GON) - suspended
6. Marite Raygada (USD) def. Sophie Lantta (GON) - 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 1