April 24, 2010
SAN DIEGO - The 62nd-ranked University of San Diego women's tennis team in the semifinal round of the WCC Championships dropped a tough 4-0 contest to 2nd-seeded Pepperdine University Saturday afternoon at the host site of the Barnes Tennis Center.
The 3rd-seeded Toreros (12-12) won the first match of the day in the tandem competition, as the San Diego pairing of Laura Claus and Justine Perl toppled Andrea Oates and Tania Rice, 8-3, at Court #3. But the 44th-ranked Waves would pick up the next two victories at Court #1 and then soon after at Court #2 to take the initial advantage in to the individual challenge.
The lady netters struggled to find their footing in singles, falling in three straight matches in consecutive sets. Anamika Bhargava sealed the match win for the Waves at Court #2, downing Claus, 6-4, 6-3.
The Toreros will look to take on 4th-seeded Santa Clara tomorrow at 3 p.m. in the third place consolation match.
WCC CHAMPIONSHIPS - Semifinals
#2 PEPPERDINE def. #3 SAN DIEGO, 4-0
Saturday, April 24, 2010
BARNES TENNIS CENTER
1. #77 Bhargava/Zalameda (PEP) def. Coupez/Sujica (USD) - 8-5
2. Colffer/Walters (PEP) def. Demidova/Raygada (USD) - 9-7
3. Claus/Perl (USD) def. Oates/Rice (PEP) - 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Juliette Coupez (USD) vs. #98 Arianna Colffer (PEP) - suspended
2. Anamika Bhargava (PEP) def. Laura Claus (USD) - 6-4, 6-3
3. Alexandria Walters (PEP) def. Maja Sujica (USD) - 6-4, 6-2
4. Andrea Oates (PEP) def. Lise Marbach (USD) - 6-0, 6-0
5. Alexandra Demidova (USD) vs. Marite Zalameda (PEP) - suspended
6. Maria Raygada (USD) vs. Tania Rice (PEP) - suspended
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 2